About Pine Bluff Arsenal, AR
Located in Jefferson County, Arkansas, Pine Bluff Arsenal is a United States Army facility thirty-five miles southeast of Little Rock. Pine Bluff's main function is to store, maintain and distribute various readiness products for the U.S. Military and the Department of Defense.
This facility also provides technical services to the Armed Forces and the Department of Homeland Security. Chemical and biological defense products, as well as various other munitions, are designed, manufactured and refurbished at this location.
Built in 1941, and originally called The Chemical Warfare Arsenal, Pine Bluff provided a manufacturing location for grenades and bombs during World War II. Later during World War II, Pine Bluff became a chemical warfare manufacturing plant in addition to providing magnesium and thermite incendiary munitions. Biological weapons were also created and tested here until 1969 when they were banned by President Richard Nixon.