About Picatinny Arsenal, NJ
Picatinny Arsenal is located on 6400 acres in Wharton, in Jefferson and Rockaway Townships in New Jersey. Its headquarters are located in Morris Township. It was founded in 1880 and is run by the U.S. Army. Picatinny Arsenal employs approximately 6,000 engineers, support personnel and scientists.
Although World War II briefly delayed the basic scope of Picatinny Arsenal's major research and development of military products, by 1977, the site resumed its weaponry research and development on nuclear munitions, radar, pyrotechnics, time fuzes and missiles. By the 1980s, Picatinny Arsenal property was expanded by 12 acres. It also expanded product research.