About Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, PA
The Philadelphia Naval Shipyard is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is more commonly referred to as the Navy Yard. It is composed of a naval shipyard and commercial industries.
The original U.S. Navy-operated shipyard in Philadelphia was built on the Delaware River in 1776. The shipyard relocated to its current location in 1917. The shipyard is known for its Naval Laboratory, where technology used for the Manhattan Project was developed. The Philadelphia Naval Shipyard built its last ship in 1970, but stores auxiliary vessels.
Currently, the City of Philadelphia owns the Navy Yard. Naval activities currently carried out on site are related to infrastructure management, supply for the technical fields, engineering, public works and storage of retired and auxiliary vessels in the Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility. The shipyard is also home to commercial industries such as textile manufacturing. In total, the Navy Yard employs roughly 30,000 people.