About MCAS Yuma, AZ
Marine Corps Air Station Yuma is an air station of the U.S. Marine Corps located in Yuma, Arizona. It is known as the Marine Corps' "Premier Aviation Training Facility" and is home to many squadrons related to aeronautics and air combat.
The air field buildings and space used by the Marine Corps base are actually jointly used with civilians at the Yuma International Airport, and occupies about 3,000 acres of mostly flat desert.
In 1928, the federal government purchased the initial land used. The base was originally closed in 1945 after World War II and was used for a time as the headquarters of the Bureau of Reclamation. The base was renamed to its current name in 1962, three years after the Marine Corps took control of the base from the Navy.