About Letterkenny Army Depot, PA
The Letterkenny Army Depot in Pennsylvania serves U.S. soldiers worldwide by maintaining, modifying and repairing tactical weapons systems, including the Patriot missile. It was established in 1942 as one of 12 new ordnance depots needed because of the outbreak of World War II.
Letterkenny's largest period of growth was the Korean War era, when 6,500 people were employed there, and it was designated a permanent military base in 1954. The depot, located northeast of Chambersburg, is the largest employer in Franklin County, contributing about a quarter billion dollars in salaries and contract to that area's economy.
The installation's workforce consists of more than 3,600 Army personnel, civilian workers and contractors. Located on about 18,000 acres, the depot is a component of the U.S. Army and Missile Command.