About Fort Shafter, HI
The oldest of 11 military bases in Hawaii, Fort Shafter resides on the island of Oahu in Honolulu. The base has been in use for over 100 years, and is the headquarters for the U.S. Army, Pacific. Fort Shafter contains Palm Circle, a National Historic Landmark that used to house the commanding general.
Fort Shafter opened in 1907, and is named after Major General William Rufus Shafter, a Medal of Honor recipient who served in the Civil War. The Fort staff includes nearly 8,000 active duty military personnel and more than 11,000 family members. Some of the fort's more than 8,000 civilians work at Tripler Army Medical Center.
The United States Army Pacific is currently led by General Robert B. Brown, the highest ranking military officer at Fort Shafter. Since 1907, Fort Shafter has been a vital part of the United States military presence in the South Pacific region.