About Fort Pickett, VA
Fort Pickett is a military installation managed by the Virginia Army National Guard. It consists of roughly 45,000 acres and is located near the town of Blackstone, Virginia. At its height, it featured both rail and air access (via Blackstone Army Airfield).
Fort Pickett was surveyed by the CCC and selected as a training area suitable for multiple infantry divisions in 1941. Construction was accelerated as the US entered the second world war in 1942, and the base consisted of over 1,400 buildings at the end of that year. The goal was to support 60,000 soldiers in training, and infrastructure to enable population was constructed by the end of the war.
After World War 2, the camp was mostly abandoned. The infrastructure was turned over to the town of Blackstone. Today, portions of the 45,000 acres on post have been reconditioned into training areas that are used by the National Guard and Army Reserve.