About Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Fort Leonard Wood serves as a base for the United States Army and is located near Waynesville, Missouri, within the Missouri Ozarks. It was created in 1940 and quickly evolved from a training ground for infantry into one focused on developing engineers for the U.S. Corps of Army Engineers.
The base is named for Medal of Honor winner Leonard Wood, who was a former Army Chief of Staff. During World War II, the base served as a POW camp to house German and Italian soldiers.
It functions as an Army Maneuver Support Center, with schools that train members of the Military Police Corps and Army Chemical Corps. These are now part of the base, after being transferred when Alabama's Fort McClellan closed in 1999. The Military Police Corps serves as the Army's law enforcement branch and the Chemical Corps is tasked with defending against different weapons of a chemical nature.