About Fort Detrick, MD
Fort Detrick is located in Frederick, Maryland, and serves as an installation for the United States Army Medical Command. Named after Major Frederick L. Detrick, a squadron flight surgeon, it's been in operation since 1931. During that time, the original 800 acres that made up the installation have increased by 50 percent up to 1,200 acres.
From 1943-69, Fort Detrick was the home of the country's biological weapons program but now serves in a protective capacity in managing defense against biological weapons. The secretive nature of its origin was such that it wasn't until after World War II had ended that American citizens became aware of any biological research being done,
In the first decade after World War II, a collection of over 1,500 Austrian and German scientists were recruited to assist in the development of new aircraft and technologies related to missiles. Now, more than 7,800 people work there.