About Fort Bliss, TX
Situated along the southern border of the United States, Fort Bliss is the U.S. Army's second-largest military installation. The base sits on 1.12 million acres adjacent to El Paso, Texas, with part of it sitting in a census-designated place (CDP). The current population of the base is 8,591, according to 2010 census stats. It was first established on November 7, 1848 and is currently home to the 1st Armored Division.
Volunteers with the 1 st Regiment of Missouri first came through the area in 1846, during the Mexican American War. The area now known as Ciudad Juarez was then known as El Paso del Norte. An order came down soon afterward to establish a post on the north side of the Rio Grande river, in the same area. That first post was established at a ranch in what is now downtown El Paso.
It was one of a series of posts that sprang up nearby over the next few years, including posts in San Elizario and Mesilla, New Mexico. The Post of El Paso, later renamed Fort Bliss, was established in 1854. Although it changed locations a number of times before settling on current site in 1893, the name Fort Bliss was kept.
As of 2014, Fort Bliss was home to about 33,500 soldiers. Due to some downsizing efforts by the Army, that number is expected to drop in the coming years. Stats from 2011 show that around 4,000 civilians were working there at the time, although that number was also expected to decrease. The base is known to host various joint military exercises with foreign units and conducts live-fire exercises with virtually every type of weapon used by the United States Army.