About Eielson AFB, AK
Situated on the banks of the Tanana River in central Alaska, Eielson Air Force Base has been a designated Superfund site since November of 1989. The base was named in honor of Carl Ben Eielson, a pilot who served in the U.S. Army Air Service in 1917.
Eielson Air Force Base was constructed in 1941, and the base saw usage during both World War II as well as throughout the Cold War. During the 1960's, the base was used as a deployment center for interceptors being used by Air Defense Command. Eielson was also home to the 6th Strategic Wing, which operated recon missions out of the base.
The 354th Fighter Wing, under the command of Chief Master Sergeant Brent S. Sheehan currently resides at Eielson. Approximately 6,000 people currently reside within the confines of Eielson Air Force Base.