About Camp Ravenna, OH
Camp Ravenna, also known as the Camp Ravenna Joint Military Training Center or the Ravenna Arsenal, is located between the cities of Ravenna and Newton Falls in northeastern Ohio. The Ohio Army National Guard uses the camp as its primary training center. The facility sits on 21,683 acres and is approximately 11 miles long, as well as 3.5 miles wide.
Opened in 1942, Camp Ravenna originally consisted of two ammunition plants; the Ravenna Ordinance Plant and the Portage Ordnance Depot. During World War II, the plant in Ravenna had a huge impact on the local community, with over 14,000 people finding employment at the plant during the War.
After the conclusion of the Vietnam War, the Ravenna Arsenal ceased all ammunition production. The site remained dormant for several years, before being converted into a National Guard training center. Camp Ravenna is currently being discussed as a potential missile defense site.