About Camp Peary, VA
Camp Peary, located near Williamsburg, Virginia, was founded in 1942 by the U.S. Navy as a training center for the Seabees. Now officially known as a Department of Defense facility, the Armed Forces Experimental Training Activity, it hosts what is commonly known as "The Farm," a CIA training base for clandestine officers. The federal government has never officially acknowledged the existence of the facility.
The military installation, which spans about 9,000 acres, was used as a stockade later in World War II for German prisoners of war who were submariners or members of ships' crews. For security reasons, the POWs' survival was kept secret from the German government.
After the war, the area was maintained by the state of Virginia as a game preserve until 1951, when the federal government returned to the site.