About Camp Mabry, TX
Camp Mabry is located in Austin, Texas, adjacent to the Mopac Expressway's west side. It's named for Brigadier General Woodford Mabry, was the Texas Adjutant General when it was established in 1892. Having been donated by Austin to the state of Texas, its original 85 acres have nearly quintupled since that time.
The camp serves as the home of the Texas Military Forces, which consists of both the state Army and Air National Guard and the state's branch of the National Guard. In its earliest years, it was used to help mobilize troops during the 1898 Spanish-American War.
That rich legacy is one reason why it's listed on the National Register of Historic Places. One indication of just how long the facility has been in operation can be seen in the simple fact that it stands behind only Fort Bliss and Fort Sam Houston as the state's oldest military facility.