About Camp H.M. Smith, HI
Camp H. M. Smith is located on the Hawaiian island Oahu in a small town named Aiea. This camp is currently an installation for the U.S. Marine Corps, but that wasn't always the case. In fact, this camp began as a Navy Hospital in 1941. The U.S. Congress bought over 200 acres of a sugar cane field for $912,000 to construct this hospital. The work on this hospital did not really get going until after the attack on Pearl Harbor.
This camp, formerly called the Aiea Naval Hospital, served thousands of sailors and soldiers, especially after the battles in the Pacific Theatre of World War II. It was not until 1955 that the Marine Corps took over this site for their Fleet Marine Force Pacific.
Today, Camp H. M. Smith proper is over 220 acres and serves as the U.S. Pacific Fleet, Commander in Chief. The U.S. Pacific Command is the oldest unified combatant command center in the United States. It focuses on different military operations in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region.